Monday, May 19, 2008

Rollerbalde tragedy!

Shawn wanted to get out and do something fun this weekend because the sun is finally out and hopefully here to stay. So, I got onto BYU's "Outdoors Unlimited" site which rents out lots of fun equipment for cheap. I saw that they rented out roller blades, so I decided that would be our fun activity on Saturday. My dear husband has always bragged about his "super-cool" days in middle school when him and all his friends would spend hours and hours roller blading and doing "rad tricks." I have always teased him about his roller blading days, well now the tables have turned and he can start teasing me, because I suck at rollerblading. But before I go on I have to say that I grew up on a farm where we did not have nice sidewalks or parking lots or concrete to roller blade on, so in my defense I have never been on roller blades in my life. So, we went and got our roller blades and brought them home so we could "blade" (is that the correct word?) on the trail behind our house. I got decked out in all my gear and with all my pads on, and Shawn was so embarrassed that I took them off before I actually went out. So, we start down the trail that follows a little river that flows into Utah Lake, and I am not doing very well, so Shawn teaches me how to "push out" as he called it, I started doing better...until we hit a couple little inclines that go under the roads and freeway. I was very nervous and scared so instead I just walked down the side in the grass. Then we get to a very scary part in the trail where it curves down in a spiral down under the road...I was not going to even attempt this, especially since I still had not figured out how to use the brakes. So, I was to cross the street and go into a parking lot and wait for Shawn there while he was brave went down the spiral tunnel. Well, the dumb parking lot was at an incline itself and I started going down it, when I car pulled in and started to cut me off, I didn't know what to do so I crashed very very hard. I was on the ground and a whole bunch of people were all standing and watching me and know one offered to help and Shawn was not there. It was all very sad.

Once Shawn finally came to rescue me, I was crying and very hurt. I had scraped up my elbow, both my hands had gravel in bedded in them, I ripped my shorts, and my whole right leg scraped and bleeding and now I have a huge bruise on my bum and right hip. And the worst part of all is that I had to roller blade all the way back to our house. As soon as I got home I took my Rollerblade off and gave them to Shawn to take back...I was done. And I have now came to the conclusion that I do NOT like roller blades and I will probably never use them again, even though Shawn said "I was starting to get better!"

5 comments:

Bethany said...

sad day!!!! but kind of hilarious, teeheehee... still, that stinks for real!!! its a good thing casey doesnt try to take me skateboarding, i'd be all over the concrete too. lol

us said...

what a terrible experience... but i must say i was laughing as i read your story because i could imagine the whole thing...i hope you get better soon!!

Brent and Cheryl said...

Shawn, I am not happy with Carisa not wearing safty wear while roller blading.

Cynthia said...

Wow Carissa - you are brave! I'm so sorry you crashed. I hope all your hurts heal quickly!

Necha said...

It's such a sad story, but I just have to tell you that I am STILL laughing at your mom and dad's comment just above...HA HA HA! It's never a good idea to make your wife's dad mad! HA HA! I can't stop laughing! "e hem" but I am sorry you were hurt-really I am.