Saturday, February 20, 2010

Science Boy

Shawn had a long day on campus with class, then a test, and then he had to go into the lab from 6-9:30 to work on his research. I decided to be a good wife and bring him some dinner. I stopped by In&Out and then brought it onto campus to meet Shawn for dinner. Since it was so late and no one was in the lab-I got to get a tour of the lab and got to watch Shawn finish his protein assay.
Shawn in his lab-this lab is soley dedicated to Shawn's research team and their project. I am not completely sure what the project is or what its purpose is-although Shawn has tried to explain it to me many times. I just know that they are doing research on mice and they are trying to find out something about muscles and proteins. There is a freezer in the lab that Shawn opened for me and it is full of dead mice that are wrapped up in bags. They save the mice after they disect them and then they give them to different departments to feed to the snakes. Shawn came home after working in the lab and he said he had just spent the afternoon shaving hair off of a bunch of mice and then he had to give them all shots to put them to sleep so they can disect them...so gross.






I am so proud of Shawn for getting into this research team (he had to send in a resume, then apply, and interview) to get into it and he got accepted into the team last semester and will stay on until he graduates. He has really loved working on his research projects, has learned alot, and it will be such a great thing to put onto his dental application.

1 comment:

Platt said...

I didn't know that about Shawn - Thanks for sharing all that - I'll be excited to hear more as time progresses - What a smartie pants!