Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ice fishing...just got marked off of my to do list before I die!

So, ever since I saw the movie, "Grumpy Old Men" I have always wanted to go ice fishing. There was something about sitting in an ice fishing tent, digging an ice hole, drinking hot chocolate, and fishing through the ice that caught my attention and gave me the desire to do it. I didn't know how I would ever achieve this dream of mine....but many years later the opportunity presented itself and I took it!
A lady from work loves to fish and her and her husband fish all of the time. I was talking to them one day at work about fishing and I said I am not much of an outdoorsy woman or a fisher...but I have always wanted to try ice fishing. They told me they would take me out in the winter time to fish on Deer Creek. I didn't think much of it because that was back in the summer time but they let me know last week the there would not be many more chances to go before the ice started to melt. I took advantage of that and told them I would go with them on Saturday. Shawn could not go because one of his mission comps was in town visiting and staying at our home so I invited Brock to go with me (who is an obsessive fisherman-and he loved it!) We headed to Deer Creek at 7 am and had to hike down to the lake and onto the ice (which was covered in snow). We found our spot, got out the auger (ice hold driller) and cut some holes. Got into the tent and started fishing. It was actually so nice outside we decided to move the fishing outdoor and continued fishing out there. We ended up with ALOT of fish. I enjoyed the hot chocolate, pulling the fish up from the holes but I would not put the worms on the hooks, touch the fish, and I felt horrible when they would smack the fish in the head with a wooden mallet to kill them, BUT I did end up catching the biggest fish of the day!
We had a great day fishing and I am happy I went, but the best part is I can now cross ice fishing off of my to do list before I die and I never have to go again.
Once we got home with all of our fish, Brock cut them up and we ended up cooking them up for Sunday dinner.
Me with one of my fishes I caught Brock with a fish ( I think they were all Rainbow Trout)



Brock pulling in the sled with all of the gear



Me inside the ice fishing tent
Some of the fishes we caught
Radawn and I with the biggest catch of the day-I would not hold my own fish so she held it up by me (but it kind of looks like I am holding it myself!)

Brock, Radawn, and I with some fish
Brock and I

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love how you would not even touch the fish... made me smile and laugh a little. I am glad you got to do something on your "bucket list" and proudly cross it off. CONGRATULATIONS!!!